"It is a good divine that follows his own instructions; I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done than to be one of the twenty to follow mine own teaching."
Portia, The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene II.



Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just for a change, a poem

Good Friday 2012
He is sitting 
on the other side of the church
staunch, stoic
When he comes forward in line
I see him in a series of flashback camera stills
11 years old and half his current size
circling on his bike by the cricket net
I don’t feel like coming to practice today, Miss
on Saturday morning whacking it for six
in flapping board shorts and the biggest pads
15 years old 
flipping paper balls in my classroom
doodling elaborate tattoos
I watch him now 
this young man
step forward and
hongi the cross
breathing deeply, eyes closed
sharing his ihi with the tree of life
and the God who died on it
my heart catches
tears well up
and I smile
this is the pride of a parent
from one who is childless

No comments:

Post a Comment